Come on this informative tour of the most important urban complex of the 20th century. John D. Rockefeller, Jr built this magical mosaic of fourteen buildings during the depression of the 1930s and today there are about 22 structures.
This “city within a city” features
- First landscaped skyscraper complex created for commerce and conceived with art
- First complex to incorporate offices, restaurants, entertainment, stores, with open space and an interconnected underground concourse
- Use of new technology and building materials- aluminum and stainless steel,
- Fastest high speed elevators, air cooling, noise silencers and escalators
- Ingenious underground system for trucks to deliver goods
- First indoor parking garage – which still has its original signage
- An amazing collection of over 100 pieces of artwork throughout based on”new frontiers” and “the progress of man” by such talented craftsmen as Lee Lawrie, Hildreth Meiere, Rene Chambellan, Frank Brangwyn and Diego Rivera.
- The legendary Rainbow Room together with the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at RadioCity Music Hall (the first building to open in1932)
- This National Register complex is both classical and modern
- Learn more about the many contributions of the Rockefeller Family from their involvement with Versailles, the Rockefeller University, University of Chicago, and the Museum of Modern Art.
- NBC’s involvement, the Today Show, SNL and 30 Rock
- You will learn to look up and appreciate the beasties and adornments on buildings everywhere.
Contact the Spirited New Yorker to discuss customizing your tour and perhaps incorporating more of midtown New York’s treasures!!!
Tours last about 90 minutes and the cost depends on the size of the group.
Estimate about $25 per person.